Ferrets' blog

A blog with news about my ferrets: Tata, Izzie and Liira. There will also be reminiscense about Tenchi, Adric, Ker Avon, Ryo-Ohki, Nyssa, Lady Ayeka, Romana, Pertwee, Podo, Kodo, Ella, Zephyr and Chin Soon, all of whom are gone now.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Ferret Vet; Nyssa Is Still Doing Amazingly Well Considering

Nyssa went to see her new, highly recommended ferret vet. I must say my first impression is really positive. The people who were there before me have two ferrets, one of which, a beautiful five year old white ferret girl, recently had combined adrenal and insulinoma surgery. She's obviously recovered beautifully. That was really encouraging. So... Nyssa saw Dr. Sarah Wolfe at Animal Hospital of De Pere.

Dr. Wolfe's opinion was the same as Dr. Weston's and Dr. Rosing's: yes, Nyssa has lots of enlarged stuff, including some lymph nodes. Her body temperature was low (99.7) but that isn't anything new. Her gums, especially near the broken canine tooth, are, in Dr. Wolf's words, "a disaster", which is also nothing new. She was on antibiotics for that back in October. Consdering Nyssa was diagnosed with lymphoma almost 14 months ago she is doing amazingly well. Nyssa was awake, alert, and wanted to explore at the vet's today. Since she wasn't allowed to run around she decided eating large quantities of Totally Ferret (the senior formula) was a good alternative.

Dr. Wolfe basically wants to continue doing what we've been doing. Don't change what is working well. She's calling in torbugesic (pain medication) to a pharmacy in case Nyssa needs it again.

Last night Nyssa was in rare form. I haven't seen her have that much energy in months. Chin Soon definitely noticed and at one point she started war dancing around Nyssa. I got a two second look at Nyssa's war dance for the first time since my consulting gig in Pittsburgh. Again, it's been months.

Oh, and yesterday was seven and a half years to the day since Nyssa came home with me. No, I don't put much stock in half anniversaries but with an old ferret with a dreaded disease such dates are definitely worth noting.

Technorati Tags:

1 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Blogger Caitlyn Martin said...

I'm sorry for your losses. My sincere coldolences. I've lost eight in two and a half years. It's hard.

Nyssa is the last of my business from 1998 still standing. It will really hurt when I lose her. In the meanwhile, though, I still think she's too stubborn to die easily.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home