Ferrets' blog

A blog with news about my ferrets: Tata, Izzie and Liira. There will also be reminiscense about Tenchi, Adric, Ker Avon, Ryo-Ohki, Nyssa, Lady Ayeka, Romana, Pertwee, Podo, Kodo, Ella, Zephyr and Chin Soon, all of whom are gone now.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Goodbye Romana (1998-2005)

I just told Lauren Powers to go ahead and end Romana's suffering.

Ultrasound found her abdominal cavity filled with pus, which was drained. She had septic peritonitis. Her bowel was all stuck together. There is a tumor on her spleen. She was passing frank blood.

Dr. Power's best theory is that there was a tumor in her bowel or lower intestines which ruptured. Even if we had gotten Romana to Dr. Powers before the mass ruptured it was likely due to some form of cancer as there were abnormal cells in the pus. If that was something like intestinal lymphoma Romana's prognosis was horrible already. She was in a LOT of pain.

Even if Dr. Powers could have gotten her stable enough to survive a surgery to clean out her abdominal cavity and remove any remaining tumor(s) the chances for recovery were very, very poor and the chances that we'd just be prolonging her life for a little bit of tortured existence was very high.

I love Romana too much to put her through any more. It was time to say goodbye. I just wish I could have been there for her. I can't blame Summer for anything, though. Dr. Powers was full of praise for the things Summer did to keep Romana going and to keep her from being even more dehydrated than she was. I am actually really grateful for all Summer did. I couldn't have done better. I just would have liked to say goodbye to my little sweetheart ferret.

I'm also terribly worried about how Nyssa will take this. Nyssa is the last ferret left from my original business and she was very bonded to Romana.

Romana will be buried next to Tenchi, Adric, Avon, Ryo-Ohki, Lady Ayeka, Podo, and Kodo, the ferrets she spent most of her life with. There's any empty space for Pertwee there too.

I can't believe she's gone. She was fine less than a week ago.

1 Comments:

At 5:05 AM, Blogger nilasae said...

Sorry to hear that, my sincerest condolations. Not that it really counts but I think you did the right thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home